If you've been accused of a criminal offence, an appearance notice tells you when you must go to court. If the offence is a hybrid offence or an indictable offence, the appearance notice will also give you the date and time when you must have your fingerprints taken.
An appearance notice lets you out of custody until your trial. The police officer is not allowed to give you an appearance notice if:
- your offence is more serious
- evidence could be lost or destroyed
- a criminal offence may continue to happen
- the public would not be safe
- the police are not sure who you are