You are here

Can I sue my former employer in court?

Can I sue my former employer in court?


Clear language definitions to common legal terms. 

Embed this content on your website

Learn how you can embed and share Steps to Justice content on your website.


Was this information helpful?

Tell us why

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy Policy

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
September, 2015

If you left your job or got fired, you might have a claim against your employer. And you might have the option of suing your employer in court.

But if you're a unionized worker, you can't sue your employer in court. Talk to your shop steward or union representative about what to do. You have rights in your collective agreement.

Choosing court or the Ministry of Labour

If you're trying to get wages that an employer owes you, you can't sue in court and make an employment standards claim to the Ontario Ministry of Labour. You have to choose one or the other.

The Workers' Action Centre has a fact sheet called Court or the Ministry of Labour? that has basic information about these options and the differences between them.

Some of the differences are:

  • how much work you have to do
  • how easy or complicated it is
  • costs
  • financial risks
  • how long you can expect the process to take
  • what you can claim
  • who can make the employer pay if you win

It's important to get legal advice before you decide what to do.

Choosing which court

If you're suing an employer for $25,000 or less, you do this in Small Claims Court.

If you want to sue for more than $25,000, you have to do this in Superior Court. It's very hard to do this without a lawyer. If you want to sue in Superior Court, you should try to get legal help If you have a low income, you might be able to get help from Pro Bono Ontario.

Parlez Français