You are here

I can't afford a lawyer, where else can I find legal help?

I can't afford a lawyer, where else can I find legal help?


Clear language definitions to common legal terms. 

Embed this content on your website

Learn how you can embed and share Steps to Justice content on your website.


Was this information helpful?

Tell us why

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy Policy

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
July, 2017

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, you can still talk to a lawyer for general advice. Some lawyers also provide "unbundled" or "limited scope" services. This means they agree to help you with part of your case. For example, preparing for a trial or case conference.

You may also be able to find legal help in other places. Some of these options include:

  • Legal Aid Ontario (LAO). If your income is low enough, LAO pays for a lawyer to help with your case. LAO also offers other services such as a telephone information and referral service, free consultations with a lawyer if you have experienced domestic violence, and various in person centres and services.
  • Community Legal Clinics (CLCs): Some CLCs across Ontario give free legal help or advice on family law issues to people who have low incomes.
  • Justice Net: This is a not-for-profit that helps people in Ontario whose income is too high to get legal aid and too low to afford standard legal fees. They offer services for a fee based on income.
  • Alternative Dispute Resolution: Some family law professionals use alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes such as mediation and arbitration to help couples resolve their issues. A family law professional is a neutral person trained in helping people reach an agreement without going to court. Deciding which process is best for you depends on the facts of your situation and what you want. For example, a mediator doesn't make decisions for you, but an arbitrator does.

You can also try calling the lawyer offices in your area and see if they offer a free consultation on family law matters.

Parlez Français