You are here

What should we do if we agree on child support?

What should we do if we agree on child support?


Clear language definitions to common legal terms. 

Embed this content on your website

Learn how you can embed and share Steps to Justice content on your website.


Was this information helpful?

Tell us why

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy Policy

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
August, 2017

If you and your partner agree on child support, you can put what you've agreed to in a separation agreement. This is a written contract that you and your partner make.

Your separation agreement can deal with child support alone, or can include other things like spousal support, custody and access, and dividing property.

You don't have to wait until you and your partner agree on everything before making a separation agreement. You can make an agreement on the things you agree on, while working on other issues.

You can make a separation agreement if you're married or in a common-law relationship.

There are some good reasons to make a written separation agreement:

  • It can be faster, cheaper, and less stressful than going to court.
  • It lets you and your partner decide what works best for you and your family.
  • It's easier to prove what you and your partner agreed on if you have a written rather than a verbal agreement.
  • If there is a problem getting support payments, the Family Responsibility Office can help.

You can talk to a lawyer who can give you advice about the rules your separation agreement needs to follow to make it legal. If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) has a service to help people with separation agreements. If your income is low enough, LAO covers the cost of up to 10 hours with a family lawyer to help you negotiate and draft a separation agreement.

Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services
Legal Aid Ontario - Aide juridique Ontario

Parlez Français