Get your Application issued

You must have your completed Form 8: Application by the court. Get your Application issued below explains how to do this.

Once your Application is issued, you get:

  • A court number. This number must be written in the box at the top right hand corner of each page of your forms.
  • The first court date for your case if your case is at the:
    • Ontario Court of Justice
    • Family Court Branch of the Superior Court of Justice, unless you're also asking for a or to divide property. If you are, there is no first court date.

    There is no first court date if your case is at the Superior Court of Justice.

  • 2 notices to go to a (MIP), one for you and one for your partner. You both have to go to a Mandatory Information Program, but you go to separate sessions. The Step Go to a Mandatory Information Session explains what happens at a MIP session.
  • Blank forms you have to give your partner for them to fill out:
  • 2 copies of Form 8.0.1: Automatic Order. This order tells you what you must do next. For example, it says that you must:
    • Serve your partner with your documents and a copy of the Automatic Order.
    • Attend a Mandatory Information Program (MIP) session within 45 days, if you have not already done so.
    • Serve and file a with supporting documents, if there are support issues.

    If you don't do these things before your , the judge might say you “have not complied”. This means you did not follow the order. You may have to pay your partner's legal costs.

After the issues your documents, you need to make at least 2 copies of all your documents. One copy is for you and the other copy is for your partner.

Make sure you keep a copy of every document you and your partner fill out. This allows you to keep track of your case yourself. You won't have to go to the court to ask the court clerk to get your file if you need to check something.

Court fees

The Ontario Court of Justice has no court fees. But, if your case is at the Superior Court of Justice or the Family Branch of the Superior Court of Justice you have to pay court fees. These include:

  • $202 to file an Application
  • $212 to file an Application that includes a divorce

If you can't afford to pay the court fees, you can ask the court for a “fee waiver”. If you get a waiver, it means you don't have to pay most court fees. The Ontario government's A Guide to Fee Waiver Requests tells you which court fees can be waived and how to ask for a fee waiver.

How to:

Get your Application issued

Reviewed: March 20, 2023
Hide this website