File your separation agreement with the court

Once you and your partner make a , you may choose to it with the court.

You can do this at any time as long as your separation agreement hasn't been changed by a or by a new separation agreement.

Fill out Form 26B: Affidavit for Filing Domestic Contract or Paternity Agreement, and attach your current separation agreement to it.

You have to file Form 26B and your separation agreement at the Ontario Court of Justice or the Family Court branch of the Superior Court of Justice. You cannot file your separation agreement at a Superior Court of Justice that doesn't have a Family Court branch.

You can file your documents with the court online or in person. File your court forms and documents below explains how to do this.

Some of the reasons to file your separation agreement with the court are so:

  • The court can enforce the support terms of your agreement. This means the court can order you and your partner to follow it.
  • A government agency, called the can enforce support.

The FRO is a government agency that collects support payments from the person who has to pay them, sends the payments to the person who has to get it, and makes sure and payments are made.

If your partner misses payments, the FRO can take action to enforce the order or agreement. For example, if your partner doesn't pay support, the FRO can order their employer to deduct money from their wages, suspend their driver's licence, or start a court case that can result in jail time.

If you want FRO to enforce your agreement, you have to first file your current separation agreement with the court as explained above. After the court confirms that your separation agreement has been filed, fill out FRO's Registration package to register your separation agreement with them.

How to:

File your court forms and documents

Reviewed: March 20, 2023
Hide this website