What if you and your partner don’t agree about what should happen?

Not everyone can resolve their legal issues on their own. If you and your partner can't agree on some or all of the issues:

  • You must consider using an (ADR) or family dispute resolution process to resolve your issues out of court if it's suitable. The Step Get help from a family law professional explains this option in more detail and lists some of the reasons why you may or may not want to use it.
  • You can go to court and ask a judge to decide your issues. A judge looks at your evidence and the facts of your case and makes decisions based on the law. The Step Which court do you go to? explains where you start your court case.
Reviewed: March 20, 2023
Hide this website