A separation agreement, sometimes called a domestic contract, is a written contract that partners can make after they have separated or divorced that says how they will deal with their issues. For example, it can say how much spousal support and child support one partner will pay the other, and who will have custody of or access to the children. A separation agreement can deal with some or all of your family law issues.
A permanent resident can be ordered deported if they’re convicted of a serious crime. A crime is serious if either:
- the maximum sentence that the law says you can get is 10 or more years in prison, even if you get a shorter sentence or no time at all in prison, or
- the sentence that you actually get is more than 6 months in prison or jail.
Give or deliver a document to someone. Usually the law says how you can give or deliver the document, who has to get it, and the deadline by which they have to get it.
A service is something that is offered to help meet a need. Some examples are:
- Stores, restaurants and bars
- Hospitals and health services
- Schools, universities and colleges
- Public places, amenities and utilities such as recreation centres, public washrooms, malls and parks
- Services and programs provided by municipal and provincial governments including social assistance and other benefits, and public transit
- Services provided by insurance companies
Services can be offered by individuals, companies, or the government.
A settlement conference is a meeting between a judge, the parties, and their lawyers if they have any. The purposes of a settlement conference include:
- talking about ways to solve those issues without going to a trial
- if possible, obtaining the judge's view of how the court might decide the case
- thinking about any matter that may help solve the case
You get severance pay only if you've worked at least 5 years for your employer and:
- your employer pays wages of at least $2.5 million a year, or
- at least 50 people will be losing their jobs within a 6-month period because the business is being cut back.
The basic rule is that severance pay is one week's pay for each year you've worked for your employer, up to 26 weeks.
This is a criminal offence. A sexual assault is an assault of a sexual nature and includes all incidents of unwanted sexual activity, including touching, kissing, and sexual intercourse. The victim of a sexual assault can be male or female. The spouse of a victim can be charged with sexual assault. Factors considered in establishing a sexual assault are:
- the part of the body touched
- the nature of the contact
- the situation in which the contact occurred
- all the circumstances surrounding the act
- any threats or force used
Shared care, also called shared custody, is when children live at least 40% of the time with each parent. Shared custody may affect how much child support is paid.