A (39) | B (19) | C (81) | D (41) | E (21) | F (14) | G (7) | H (12) | I (23) | J (4) | L (15) | M (25) | N (17) | O (14) | P (50) | Q (2) | R (29) | S (57) | T (19) | U (9) | V (2) | W (10)

The Record of Employment is a form that your employer must fill out every time you experience an interruption of earnings. The Record of Employment has information like how long you worked for your employer, how many hours you worked, and how much money you earned. Your employer has to choose from a list of reasons why you stopped working or stopped being paid. For example, you might have quit, got fired, been laid off, or be taking a leave of absence from work.


A record suspension used to be called a pardon. If you have a criminal record, you may be able to apply to the Parole Board of Canada for a record suspension. If you get a record suspension, your criminal record is not erased. But it is set aside and you can say you don't have one.

There are rules about how long you have to wait to apply and what you need to show for your application to be successful.


You might qualify for regular EI benefits when you lose your job or stop working for reasons beyond your control.

Title: regular wages

The Employment Standards Act says that regular wages means wages you earn, not including any of the following:

Title: reprisal

When your employer punishes you for trying to use your legal rights, this is called a reprisal. It's against the law for an employer to do this. An employer might punish you by:

  • suspending you, 
  • changing your work, 
  • changing your shifts or reducing your hours, or 
  • giving you a warning or threatening you.

Parlez Français