A (45) | B (19) | C (88) | D (43) | E (21) | F (15) | G (9) | H (13) | I (25) | J (5) | K (1) | L (16) | M (28) | N (20) | O (16) | P (56) | Q (2) | R (32) | S (62) | T (20) | U (11) | V (3) | W (11)
Title: care home

A rented place to live where the landlord provides care services or makes them available to the tenants. Examples of care services are nursing care, supervision of medications, attendant care, and help with daily living activities. A tenant is a care home tenant only if getting the services was a reason they moved there. Retirement homes for seniors are a common type of care home.


A case conference is a meeting between a judge and you and your partner, and your lawyers if you have any. The purposes of a case conference include:

  • figuring out the issues that need to be solved in your case
  • talking about ways to solve those issues without going to a trial
  • figuring out the information you and your partner need to share
Title: Case Manager

A Case Manager is the person at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) who first deals with your claim. Their name will be on the first letter you get from the WSIB.

The Case Manager is your contact person at the WSIB when you have questions and they are responsible for making decisions about your claim.  

Sometimes your Case Manager will change. But if you have your claim number, you can find out who the new person is.


A Certificate of Judgment is proof that you have a court order you can enforce. It’s usually used if you need to enforce an order in a different court than where you got the original order.


The Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) makes a cessation order if it decides that a protected person no longer needs Canada’s protection. A cessation order can lead to a protected person being forced to leave Canada.

If Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) applies to the IRB for a cessation order, the protected person has the right to a hearing.

Title: charge

A charge is a formal accusation of an offence. When the police “charge” you with an offence, they are accusing you of committing a crime. If you're charged, the court will have an information for your case. This is the formal charging document which lists the offences the police say you've committed.


This form may be part of your disclosure. It is also known as a crown screening form. The form tells you how the Crown plans to deal with your charges, including:

  • what kind of sentence the Crown will ask for
  • whether some of your charges will be dropped if you plead guilty early
  • whether you've been approved for diversion

This information will help you decide how you want to deal with your charges.


This is a type of pre-trial motion made to ask for a remedy for a violation of your Charter rights. This includes your right:

  • to a lawyer
  • to be presumed innocent until you're proven guilty in a fair and public hearing by an impartial court
  • to be given a trial within a reasonable amount of time
  • to be free from unreasonable searches

If you can show the Court that your rights were violated, evidence obtained through the violations might not be allowed as evidence at your trial. The Court can also stop a prosecution and stay charges where there were serious Charter breaches.


This is a child who has been or is at risk of being harmed because of something that their parent or caregiver has done or not done.

The law says a child is “in need of protection” only when one or more specific conditions are met.  For example, it says a child might be in need of protection if at least one of the following is true:

  • they suffered from physical harm because of what a parent did
  • there is a risk that they will likely suffer physical harm because of what a parent does
  • they have been sexually abused by a parent
  • there is a risk that they will likely be sexually abused by a parent

If the court decides that a child is in need of protection, it can make an order that it thinks in in the child’s best interests. For example, it can order that the child be placed in the care of the Children’s Aid Society.

Title: child support

Child support is the amount of money that one parent pays to the other parent to support their child financially. The money is paid to the parent who has the child living with them most of the time. The person who pays child support is called the payor parent.

The amount of child support that the payor parent pays is usually based on the Child Support Guidelines.

Parlez Français