A service is something that is offered to help meet a need. Some examples are:
- Stores, restaurants and bars
- Hospitals and health services
- Schools, universities and colleges
- Public places, amenities and utilities such as recreation centres, public washrooms, malls and parks
- Services and programs provided by municipal and provincial governments including social assistance and other benefits, and public transit
- Services provided by insurance companies
Services can be offered by individuals, companies, or the government.