Services in Ontario - Birth and adoption

Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS)


Contact Information

Phone 416-408-3967 Toll-free 1-844-633-2886

In Toronto, ALS provides Indigenous court workers and the Community Council diversion program. They also write Gladue reports in various locations in Ontario. They don’t provide criminal lawyers to represent you in court. Outside of Toronto, there are other Indigenous organizations that offer support to Indigenous people charged with a crime.

Service Canada


Contact Information

Toll-free 1-800-206-7218 TTY 1-800-529-3742

Service Canada is a central place to access a wide range of government services and benefits, including Employment Insurance, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, Social Insurance Numbers, and passports. There are Service Canada offices across Ontario.

Service Canada’s Benefits Finder suggests benefits from the Canadian and provincial governments that you may be able to get.



Contact Information

Phone 416-326-1234 Toll-free 1-800-267-8097 TTY 416-325-3408 Toll-free TTY 1-800-268-7095

ServiceOntario is a central place to find out about services provided by the Ontario government. For example, with ServiceOntario, you can:

  • apply for or renew a health card
  • register your child’s birth
  • change your name
  • apply for a marriage certificate or birth certificate
  • apply for a driver’s licence and renew a license or plate sticker

If you were adopted in Ontario or your child was placed for adoption, you might be able to get information from your birth and adoption records through ServiceOntario.

Use their Service Finder to see if the service you need is offered online or if you need to go to a ServiceOntario office.

Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies


Contact Information

Phone 416-987-7725 Toll-free 1-800-718-1797

The association has a list of all Children’s Aid Societies in Ontario that can help you find your local office. Children’s Aid Societies have a legal duty to look into every report of a child who is being harmed or is at risk of being harmed.

Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services


Contact Information

Phone 416-325-5666 Toll-free 1-888-789-4199

The Ministry is responsible for services provided by Developmental Services Ontario, Ontario Works, the Ontario Disability Support Program, and the Family Responsibility Office.

They are also responsible for Community Services including help for women who have experienced domestic violence, programs for Indigenous peoples, and searching for adoption records.

Go to their website or call them to:

  • learn about these services
  • apply for these services
  • get application forms

Adoption Council of Ontario


Contact Information

Phone 416-482-0021 Toll-free 1-877-236-7820

The council helps people who were adopted or who have adopted a child. It provides services such as a helpline, workshops, seminars, information, peer support, and counselling.

Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Ontario has on online Law Society Referral Service that gives you the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will give free legal advice for up to 30 minutes in any area of law.

If you can’t wait for a legal representative to call you back, or if you don’t have a call-back number, email Or, if you’re in crisis or in custody, call 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Ontario Legal Information Centre


Contact Information

Phone 613-842-7462 Toll-free 1-844-343-7462

The Ontario Legal Information Centre offers a free 30-minute meeting with a lawyer to anyone in Ontario by telephone or in person at their Ottawa office in English or French. They can provide legal information in any legal topic, and referrals to services.  You have to leave a message and a lawyer will call you back.

Family Law Information Centres (FLIC)

FLIC’s are available in every court in Ontario that deals with family law. All have free pamphlets. Many have staff who can:

  • tell you about community and legal services
  • explain the court process
  • tell you about ways to solve legal issues without going to court

Some FLICs have advice lawyers at certain times. These are lawyers paid by Legal Aid Ontario to answer questions, give general legal advice, and review legal documents on family law issues.

Canadian Council of Muslim Women

The Canadian Council of Muslim Women provides Muslim women in Canada with culturally appropriate referrals to legal information and advice in family law, as well as with other issues like housing, mental health, and food bank services. It includes referrals to lawyers, as well as imams and social services organizations such as shelters. You have to email this intake form, and the service will try to respond within 24 hours.

Hide this website