I have a disability. If I call the police about abuse, what do I need to know?

Persons with disabilities are more likely to be abused. Sometimes it might be because they rely on others to meet needs related to their disability.

Persons with disabilities might be abused by:

  • family members
  • husbands, wives, same-sex partners, boyfriends, girlfriends
  • friends
  • strangers
  • people they live with
  • people involved in their care

All abuse is wrong, but not all abuse is a crime.

For example, if a tells you that you're worthless, they're abusing you, but it isn't a crime. But it might be a crime if a caregiver tells you that they're going to physically hurt you.

Family members and friends sometimes ask to borrow money. In some situations that might be abuse, but it isn't a crime. But it might be a crime if someone, even a family member, takes your money without asking or by bullying.

Talking to the police

In an emergency, contact the police by calling 911. If it isn't an emergency, call your local police station.

Any time you talk to the police, ask for:

  • the name and badge number of the police officer that you speak with
  • a report number that you can use in the future

Write down this information and keep it in a safe place.

If you call 911, the police decide what happens next. You do not decide. For example, they might:

Hide this website