Are LTB hearings going ahead in the COVID-19 pandemic?
Yes. Hearings are being held by telephone, video conference, or in writing.
In-person hearings are very rare. There are some reasons when the LTB might consider having an in-person hearing. For example:
- you have a that would make it very difficult for you to have a remote hearing, or
- a remote hearing would be unfair because you don’t have a reliable phone or reliable internet access.
You must send a Request for Accommodation form to the LTB if you want them to consider giving you an in-person hearing.
If you’re represented by a lawyer or paralegal, make sure to tell them right away if the LTB contacts you.
If you get a , email, or message about an LTB hearing and you don’t have a lawyer or paralegal, make a note of your hearing date and the LTB file number. Then try to get legal help right away. You can contact your local community legal clinic. You can also sign up for advice at www.tdc.acto.ca or by calling 1-877-374-0391.
And, if you’ve received a notice for an eviction hearing because of non-payment of rent, can also contact www.oba.org/TLCP for 30 minutes of free advice with a lawyer if you have a hearing in the next 10 days and have internet access.
Contacting the LTB
The LTB counter services are closed. You can call the LTB if you have general questions. And you can email if you have questions about your hearing. Make sure you include your LTB file number in your email.
Filing tenant applications
You can file your in a number of ways:
In person: You can file in person at a Board regional office or a ServiceOntario Centre. You can pay the filing fee by cash, credit card, debit card, certified cheque or money . Certified cheques and money orders must be made payable to the Minister of Finance. The Board will not accept an ordinary uncertified cheque.
By mail, fax, or online: You can file your application by mail or fax as well.
Or you can file it online. There are two ways to file online, depending on what type of application you want to file:
- To file a T2 or T6 on its own, use the Board’s e-file service.
- To file most other types of tenant applications or a T2 and T6 together, you have to pay your fee online and then send your application by email to the LTB. To pay the fee, you will need a credit card or debit card.
Prepare for your hearing
Most hearings are being held by telephone or video conferencing through Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
If your hearing is by video conference, before your hearing, make sure you have:
- access to a reliable phone or a computer with a camera and microphone
- a stable internet or phone connection
- enough phone minutes, if you are using a phone
- a private space where you feel comfortable and can speak without interruption
Starting February 1, 2021 in Toronto, you may be able to use the 15 Grosvenor Hearing Centre if you don’t have access to a telephone, computer, or internet. You must contact the LTB as soon as you receive your notice of hearing and ask to use the Hearing Centre. The LTB will review your request and let you know if they’ve accepted or denied your request. If your request is accepted, you must complete an on-site COVID-19 screening assessment before entering the Hearing Centre. And you must wear a mask and follow all safety measures when inside the Hearing Centre.
The LTB may change the way they hold hearings in the future. You can check the LTB’s website for the latest news.