Can I be evicted during COVID-19?

Yes. The (LTB) is still holding eviction hearings during the pandemic. For more information, read the question: Are LTB hearings going ahead in the COVID-19 pandemic?

On April 8, 2021, the government made an stopping the 's office from evicting most tenants during the COVID-19 state of emergency. This “eviction freeze” is now over. This means your landlord can have the Sheriff you.

How does eviction work?

Most tenants who rent a place to live in Ontario are protected by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). If you're a tenant under the RTA, your landlord must use the Sheriff to evict you. The Sheriff is also called a Court Enforcement Officer. Your landlord can't evict you by themselves, and they can't hire a private bailiff or anyone else to evict you.

Your landlord must follow a certain process to evict you. If they follow the process correctly, they will get an eviction order from the LTB that they can bring to the Sheriff's office. After your landlord pays the Sheriff's fee, the Sheriff's office will schedule a time and day to come to your rental unit to change the locks.

Sheriff's offices usually give you a written a few days before the scheduled eviction date. The notice tells you when the Sheriff will be coming. But there's no guarantee that they will give this notice. And if you got a Sheriff's notice before the eviction freeze started, you might not get a new notice before the Sheriff comes to evict you.

After the Sheriff changes the locks, your landlord must give you 72 hours (3 days) to remove your belongings from your place. Your landlord can't throw out your stuff during these 72 hours. Your landlord must also let you into your place to get your things any time between 8 am and 8 pm during these 72 hours. There are different rules if you live in a mobile home. For more information, read the question: What happens to my stuff if I’m evicted?

Can my landlord evict me without using the Sheriff?

If you are a tenant under the RTA, only the Sheriff can evict you. If you think your landlord might try to evict you without the Sheriff, you can contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) at 1-888-772-9277 (toll-free) or 416-585-7214. The RHEU is part of the Ministry of Housing. Its job is to try to make sure landlords and tenants follow the law. RHEU staff might contact your landlord to discuss the situation. Sometimes this can solve the problem. If that doesn't work, try to get legal help right away.

Is there anything else I can do to stop my eviction?

Read your LTB eviction order carefully. The order will have information on what to do if you disagree with the decision. It will also say how much time you have to appeal the decision.

For more information about what you can do after getting an eviction order, read Eviction Process at the Landlord and Tenant Board.

Hide this website