You are here

How do I get a copy of my Record of Employment (ROE)?

How do I get a copy of my Record of Employment (ROE)?
Learn more about this topic

Was this information helpful?

How do I get a copy of my Record of Employment (ROE)?
April 8, 2020

Your Record of Employment (ROE) is a form that your employer fills in with information like how long you’ve worked for them, how many hours you worked, and how much you earned.

Your ROE also gives the reason why you’re no longer working. For example, it will say if you were laid off, quit, or were fired.

Normally, Service Canada needs your ROE to decide if you’re eligible for benefits. For example, to qualify for Employment Insurance, Service Canada will check to make sure you worked enough hours in the past year.

You do not need your ROE to apply for the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). However, you must keep either a paper or electronic a copy of your ROE in case you are later asked for proof that you were not working when you applied for CERB.  

For more information about applying for the CERB, read the question Who can get the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and how do I apply?

Getting your ROE

There are two ways for your employer to give you your ROE. They can send your ROE to the government electronically. Your employer must send an electronic copy within 5 days of the end of the pay period in which you stopped working. If this happens, you don’t need a paper copy. You will need a My Service Canada Account to see your ROE online.

Or, your employer can give you a paper copy of your ROE. They must do this within 5 days of your first interruption of earnings. If your employer gives you a paper copy, you have to mail it to Service Canada at:

Employment Insurance – Service Canada
PO Box 2602
Mississauga, Ontario
L4T 0B1

Time limit for employers to do the ROE

If you’re applying for Employment Insurance, you should apply as soon as you’ve had at least 7 days without work or pay, even if your employer has not yet given you your ROE. Without your ROE, you’ll need proof of your employment, such as pay stubs and T-4 slips.

If you cannot get your ROE, call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218. A Service Canada agent will tell you how to get your ROE or what else they need to complete your application for benefits.

Parlez Français