Will I be able to make a refugee claim at the Canada – US border?

Under the Safe Third Country Agreement (STCA), many people who try to make a refugee claim at the Canada-US border will be returned to the United States.

Currently, you can make a claim at the Canada- US border if you can prove any of the following:

  • You have an eligible family member in Canada.
  • You are under the age of 18 and travelling without an adult.
  • You are a citizen of the United States.
  • You are a “stateless person” who has lived or been “habitually resident” in the US.
  • You hold a valid Canadian visa.
  • You have been charged with or convicted of a crime that could result in the death penalty in the US or another country.

You can learn more here about coming to Canada through a Port of Entry (POE) under an exception to the STCA.

Hide this website