Do I have to answer police questions if I’m driving or biking?

In most situations, you don't have to answer questions from the police. But it's a good idea to be polite if you're stopped and questioned.

Motor vehicle accidents

If you're in a motor vehicle accident you may be required by law to give a statement to the police. This statement is called an accident report. You are required by law to give police the information necessary to complete the report.

Your accident report cannot be used against you as evidence, but making an untrue statement is an under the . Also, if you lie to the police, you can be charged with .

When driving a vehicle

If you're stopped while driving a vehicle, you must show the following to the police when asked:

  • your driver's licence
  • your vehicle's registration
  • proof of insurance documents

You don't have to say anything to the police. Just show them the documents. Anything you say to the police can be used as if you're charged with a criminal offence. If you don't show the police your documents, you can be charged with a under the Highway Traffic Act. It is a provincial offence to not show the police your insurance card.

The police can also demand that you take a roadside breath test to check for alcohol impairment. They do not need a reason to ask you to take a breath test. You do not have the right to refuse a breath test.

When riding a bicycle

The police can stop you while you're riding a bicycle. This might happen if the police think you broke a traffic law. If the police stop you while riding a bicycle, you must give the police your name and address. You do not have to show the police an ID card, a driver's licence, or any other documents. You do not need a licence or insurance to ride a bicycle on the road. But if you refuse to tell the police your name and address, they can you to figure out who you are.

Hide this website