How and when must I report a workplace injury or illness?

Workers' compensation benefits are payments for injuries or diseases that are related to the work you were doing.

To make a claim for benefits, you need to report the injury or illness to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

Report within 6 months

You must report your injury or illness to the WSIB as soon as possible and no later than 6 months after it happens. To do this, you must fill out a Worker's Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6) and send it to the WSIB.

You should do this even if your employer or doctor has already reported your injury or illness to the WSIB.

You might not know right away that you were injured or sick. If this happens, you must a claim with the WSIB within 6 months from the day you find out that your injury or illness is related to work.

For more information, see Step 2.

After 6 months

If 6 months have passed, file your claim with the WSIB and explain why you did not file it earlier.

The WSIB can let people file their claims late. Read more in Step 1.

Hide this website