I came to Canada to pick and harvest crops. What are my rights?

This information is for people who came to Canada to pick fruit or harvest vegetables. If you came to Canada to grow plants or care for animals, see I came to Canada to work on a farm. What are my rights?

Many people who harvest or pick crops are temporary foreign workers. See I’m a temporary foreign worker. What are my rights?

Temporary foreign workers are also called migrant workers.

Employers use different words when talking about people who harvest or pick crops like fruit, vegetables, and tobacco. Some examples are harvesters, pickers, harvesting hands, or harvesting labourers.

It does not matter what you're called. What does matter is the type of work you're doing. Step 1 has more information to help you figure this out.

Rights you have

Harvesters have the right to get:

And you might also have the right to these leaves from work:

Rights you do not have

You do not have the right to:

  • limits on how many hours you work in a day
  • limits on how much you work in a week
  • overtime pay
  • rest periods or meal breaks during your workday
  • time off between your shifts
  • days off every week or every 2 weeks

Work permits

To get a job, you need a work permit. Most people must apply for a work permit before they come to Canada. The 2 types of work permits are:

  • closed work permits
  • open work permits

A closed work permit tells you:

  • the name of the employer you can work for, and
  • how long you can work for them.

An open work permit allows you to work for almost any employer who will hire you, unless they:

Most work permits are closed work permits.

Get help and support

If you think your employer is not following the law, it's a good idea to get help from a group that supports temporary foreign workers, for example:

Hide this website