What can I do if my partner won’t let me see my child?

As of March 1, 2021, the term  has changed to . And in most situations, the term  has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn't a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

Even though you may have a , a , or that says when you have parenting time with your child, your partner may not let you see your child. Parenting time used to be called access.

This can be very upsetting for your child and very frustrating for you.

Keep track of all the missed visits and make notes with as much detail as possible. For example, record the date, time, and details of each time you were not allowed to see your child. If it keeps happening, you may be able to get the arrangement changed.

But, there are times when your partner may have a good reason to stop you from spending time with your child. For example, if your partner thinks there's a real risk that your child will experience harm from . Or because you're under the influence of drugs or alcohol when you're spending time with your child.

Remember everyone has a duty to call their local children's aid society if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that a child under the age of 16 has been or is in danger of being harmed.

Child support is separate from parenting time

The right to and the right to parenting time are 2 different issues. They are both rights of the child. Your partner cannot stop you from spending time with your child because you haven't paid child support.

Hide this website