You are here

What if I have a court order and I want to change it?

What if I have a court order and I want to change it?
This question has an answer and 5 steps
September 1, 2020

You or your partner may want or need to change your final court order because of changes to your situation. For example:

It can be difficult to get along with your partner. Small issues can build up and make you want to change your court order. Think carefully about what issues you want to take to court.

For example, it's best not to go to court for things like who has to wash your child's clothes after access visits or because your partner isn't always on time. Try to find another way to resolve these issues that can save you time and money.

You should first see what your court order says you have to do if one of you wants to change it. For example, it might say that you have to try mediation before going to court. Even if your court order doesn't say this, you might want to try an alternative dispute resolution process before going to court.

If you and your partner cannot agree, you may have to go to court and bring a motion to change.

To change child support, check to see if there has been a change to table support or to special and extraordinary expenses.

To change spousal support or custody and access, check to see if there has been a material change in circumstances. This means your situation has changed so much that your court order or separation agreement needs to be changed.

Parlez Français