What should we do if we agree on child support?

If you and your partner agree on , you can put what you've agreed to in a . This is a written contract that you and your partner make.

Your separation agreement can deal with child support alone, or can include other things like , , , and . Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called and .

You don't have to wait until you and your partner agree on everything before making a separation agreement. You can make an agreement on the things you agree on, while working on other issues.

You can make a separation agreement if you're or in a .

There are some good reasons to make a written separation agreement:

  • It can be faster, cheaper, and less stressful than going to court.
  • It lets you and your partner decide what works best for you and your family.
  • It's easier to prove what you and your partner agreed on if you have a written rather than a verbal agreement.
  • If there is a problem getting support payments, the can help.

You can talk to a lawyer who can give you advice about the rules your separation agreement needs to follow to make it legal. If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

Use the online child support service

You and your partner may be able to use the Ontario government's online Child Support Service (CSS) to get child support.

The government uses income information to calculate how much child support should be paid. In general, the CSS can only decide child support in simple cases where the table amount applies. It can only be used for some . And, it does not allow for retroactive child support.

Hide this website