You are here
What should we do if we agree on spousal support?
You don't have to wait until you and your partner agree on everything before making a separation agreement. You can make an agreement on the things you agree on, while working on other issues.
There are some good reasons to make a written separation agreement:
- It can be faster, cheaper, and less stressful than going to court.
- It lets you and your partner decide what works best for you and your family.
- It's easier to prove what you and your partner agreed on if you have a written rather than a verbal agreement.
- If there is a problem getting support payments, the Family Responsibility Office can help.
- Monthly spousal support cannot be tax deductible without a separation agreement or court order.
You can talk to a lawyer who can give you advice about the rules your separation agreement needs to follow to make it legal. If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, you may be able to find legal help in other places.