Can I be evicted if my landlord wants to move in?

Your landlord might want to  you so that they, a member of their family, or a caregiver can move into your place.

If this happens, the landlord must first give you a written . The notice should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit – Form N12.

Also, your landlord must:

  • offer you another acceptable unit to move to, or
  • pay you at least one month's rent.

You don't have to move out just because you get this notice. You can be forced to move only if the  (LTB) makes an eviction  against you.

But if you do want to move, you can give your landlord as little as 10 days' notice, instead of the usual 60 days.

To ask the LTB to make an eviction order, your landlord must file an Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant – Form L2. The LTB should send you a copy of this  and a Notice of Hearing.

There are things you can do before the hearing to try to reach an agreement with your landlord. For example, your landlord might agree to pay you more than one month's rent or give you more time to find a new place.

If you don't move out and you don't make an agreement with your landlord, your case will go to a hearing at the LTB.

At the hearing, your landlord must show that:

  • they've followed all the right steps in their application,
  • they honestly plan to move into your place, and
  • they intend to live there for at least a year.

You need to prepare for the hearing and think about the best ways to challenge your landlord's case at the hearing.

Hide this website