How do I sponsor my child or my spouse or partner’s child?

You make your sponsorship application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Read more about the rules that apply to sponsoring a child in Can I sponsor my child or my spouse or partner’s child to become a permanent resident?

IRCC decides if:

  • you qualify to be a sponsor
  • you can prove that there's a parent-child relationship
  • the child meets the definition of a
  • the child meets the requirements to become a , for example, they're not because of a criminal record

If you're sponsoring your or , you may be able to include in the same application:

  • your dependent child, or
  • the dependent child of your spouse or partner.

This question does not cover the topic of international adoption.

If you’re a protected person

If you're a , you might not need to make a sponsorship application to bring your dependent child to Canada.  There's a different process that you can use if it's been less than a year since you became a permanent resident.

And if you're applying for permanent resident status after you became a protected person in Canada, you can include your spouse and dependent children in your application.

If a child is already a Canadian citizen

If a parent was a Canadian citizen when their child was born, the child might be a Canadian citizen. This could be true even if the child was born outside Canada.

And if a child is a Canadian citizen, you don't need to sponsor them. You can apply for proof of citizenship for them.

Get help if you need it

The rules and the process for sponsoring someone are complicated.

If you make a mistake in an application, it can be difficult to correct. Your application might be refused or you or your family member could have problems with immigration status in the future.

If you're not sure about something, ask for information from a community agency or get legal help.

Hide this website