What is a Temporary Resident Permit and how do I apply from inside Canada?

You can apply for a (TRP) if:

  • you're , or
  • you do not meet the requirements to become a .

But you must have strong reasons to stay in Canada.

When you have a TRP, you can also apply for other permits, such as work and study permits.

Why you might need a TRP

You may need to apply for a TRP inside Canada because:

  • You lost your status in Canada, cannot restore it, and have strong reasons to remain in Canada.
  • You have a TRP and need your status extended, or your TRP expired.
  • You worked or studied in Canada and did not have a proper permit.
  • You applied to become a and you're waiting for an answer.
  • You applied to become a permanent resident based on and were approved. But you're still .
  • You're a victim of human trafficking.
  • You're a victim of family violence.

Getting a TRP may give you time to deal with why you're inadmissible. It may also help you remain in Canada.

What happens when you get the TRP

It can take several months or even years to find out if your application for a TRP is accepted.

If you get a TRP, you can stay in Canada for a set amount of time. This might be 6 months. Or, it could be for more or less time based on:

  • why you want to stay,
  • how long you asked to stay in Canada,
  • how much financial support you have in Canada, and
  • when your passport or other travel document expires.

You cannot leave and return to Canada using your TRP unless the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) authorizes or agrees to it. Contact CBSA and get their authorization before you leave Canada.

If you have had a TRP for many years in a row, you may be eligible to apply for permanent resident status if you meet certain conditions.

Get legal advice

Applying for a TRP can be complicated. Make sure to get legal advice before you apply.

Hide this website