Can I appeal a decision about a CPP pension or benefit?

This question tells you how to appeal Service Canada's decision on the following pensions and benefits:

  • retirement pension
  • post-retirement benefits
  • survivor's pension
  • orphan's benefits
  • death benefits

For information about appealing a decision about Canada Pension Plan disability benefits, read Can I appeal a decision about CPP disability benefits?

Service Canada may decide that:

  • you're not eligible for a Canada Pension Plan pension or benefits, or
  • you should get less than what you expected.

If you do not agree with Service Canada's decision, the first step is to ask them to review their decision. This review is called a .

You must do this within 90 days of getting the letter from Service Canada that includes the decision you disagree with.

In the letter, it may not be clear why Service Canada made their decision. If this happens, you may want to order a copy of your CPP file. Read more in Step 1.

Getting your CPP file can help you figure out:

  • why Service Canada made its decision, and
  • what you need to include when you ask for a reconsideration.

Appeal to the Social Security Tribunal

If you do not agree with the decision you get after the reconsideration, you may be able to appeal to the Social Security Tribunal (SST).

Read more in How do I appeal to the Social Security Tribunal about a CPP pension or benefit?

Get legal help

Asking for a reconsideration is not easy. Try to get legal help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, a community legal clinic may be able to help you.

Hide this website