Can I appeal a decision about CPP disability benefits?

Service Canada may decide that:

  • you're not eligible for , or
  • you should get less in benefits than what you expected.

If you do not agree with Service Canada's decision, the first step is to ask them to review their decision. This review is called a .

You must do this within 90 days of getting the letter from Service Canada that includes the decision you disagree with.

In the letter, it may not be clear why Service Canada made their decision. If this happens, you may want to order a copy of your CPP file. Read more in Step 1.

Getting your CPP file can help you figure out:

  • why Service Canada made its decision, and
  • what you need to include when you ask for a reconsideration.

Appeal to the Social Security Tribunal

If you do not agree with the decision you get after the reconsideration, you may be able to appeal to the Social Security Tribunal (SST).

Read more in How do I appeal to the Social Security Tribunal about CPP disability benefits?

Get legal help

Asking for a reconsideration is not easy. Try to get legal help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, a community legal clinic may be able to help you.

CLEO has a Guided Pathway that helps you fill out forms to:

  • ask Service Canada to reconsider their decision about your , and
  • appeal to the SST.
Hide this website