I am an Afghan national. Can I get my application processed faster?

On August 27, 2021, the government announced that it is going to process some applications made by citizens of Afghanistan more quickly. The special measures apply to applications for:

  • Family reunification (sponsorship) of eligible family members
  • Permanent residence
  • Temporary residence

This includes both applications that have already been made and new applications. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) isn't charging fees for some applications. IRCC is also waiving other requirements, such as the need for a valid passport or travel document.

To have your application processed faster, you must send a request to IRCC and you must meet certain eligibility requirements, outlined below.

If you made an online or paper application, email IRCC at IRCC.SituationAfghanistan.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with the following information:

  • your unique client identifier number (UCI) if you have one,
  • your name and date of birth,
  • the date you applied,
  • the type of application you submitted and if it was made in Canada or outside, for example a sponsorship or application for temporary status, and
  • how you applied, on paper or online. If online, then include the email you used.

If you are sending your request by mail, write Urgent – Afghanistan priority on the envelope.

You can ask IRCC for urgent processing for any of the following applications.


If you are a Canadian citizen or from Afghanistan, IRCC will prioritize some sponsorships for the following eligible family members:

  • your or partner
  • your dependent children, including adopted children
  • orphaned relatives under 18 years old

If you are sponsoring an Afghan , you must include copies of 1 or 2 of the following documents for yourself and your family members, if they have them:

  • your Canadian birth certificate
  • your Canadian citizen certificate or card
  • your Canadian passport
  • other identity documents, if possible

If you have questions about this program, email IRCC.SituationAfghanistan.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.

Permanent residence

IRCC will prioritize your application for permanent residence if you're:

  • a or Protected person from Afghanistan and your application includes dependent Afghan family members outside of Canada, or
  • a resettled Afghan refugee in Canada and you're applying for permanent residence for one of your dependents.

No fees for citizens of Afghanistan approved for permanent residence

If you're an Afghan citizen outside Canada when you application is approved:

  • you won't have to pay biometrics fees if you have confirmation of your permanent residence status, and
  • you don't need to have a valid passport or travel document if you can't get one.

Temporary residence

IRCC will prioritize temporary residence applications if you're an Afghan citizen and you're:

  • living in Canada applying to extend your status as a worker, student, or visitor
  • applying for temporary status as a worker, student, or visitor from outside of Canada and you are an eligible family member of a Canadian citizen, permanent resident

Under this special policy, eligible family member only includes:

  • your spouse or partner
  • your dependent children, including adopted children
  • orphaned relatives under 18 years old

No fee needed

IRCC will waive your application fees if you are in Canada and applying to:

  • extend your status, even if it has expired
  • renew your work or study permit
  • restore your temporary status, even if it has been expired for more than 90 days
  • get a new permit (TRP) because yours is expiring

No fees needed for Canadian citizens, permanent residents and eligible family members travelling to Canada

Canadian citizens and permanent residents

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Afghanistan, or if you're on your way to Canada from there, IRCC will waive the fees for:

  • 1-year passports
  • Urgent travel documents
  • Permanent resident travel documents
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship

Family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents applying for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

IRCC will waive the fee for a temporary resident permit (TRP) and biometrics fees if you are all of the following:

  • travelling to Canada with a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
  • in Afghanistan or another country on your way to Canada, and
  • a citizen of Afghanistan who is an eligible family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
    • spouse or partner
    • (including adopted children)
    • Orphaned under 18 years old

In this situation, you don't need a valid passport or travel document to come to Canada.

Hide this website