Letter writing tool: Telling your landlord you want to move back in after renovations

1Information about the tool
2Your information
3Landlord information
4Get your letter

Landlords can evict tenants to do work on a rental unit that can’t be done while people are living there. To do this, your landlord should give you a Form N13 from the Landlord and Tenant Board.

You have the right to move back into your unit when the work is done. This is called the “right of first refusal”. But you must tell your landlord in writing that you want to do this before you move out.

This tool creates a letter you can send to your landlord to tell them this.

Make sure to follow the steps in the checklist we created about what you must do before and after you move out.

Read more in Can my landlord make me move out for repairs or renovations?

Who can use this tool

You can use this tool if:

Reason 2 on the Form N13

You can’t use this letter if you live in:

  • a subsidized housing unit
  • a mobile home park and you own your mobile home
  • a land lease community and you own your home
  • a care home

What you need to get started

To use this tool, you need:

  • your email address
  • the Form N13 that you got from your landlord
  • the name and address of your landlord, which is on the Form N13
  • the names of any other tenants who live in your unit, if they also want to move back in

Who is your landlord?

It’s best to give the name of the person or business listed as your landlord on the Form N13. If you’re not sure about including that name, use the name of the person you pay your rent to. Or, use the person or business listed as the landlord on your lease or rental agreement.

If you’re still not sure, get legal advice before you start.

If you live with other people

You need to know who to list as tenants before you start using this tool.

Usually, anyone named on your lease or rental agreement is a tenant. It’s likely that anyone else you live with is an occupant, not a tenant. For example, this might be a new partner or adult child who moved in after you signed the lease.

Children under 16 are never tenants. It’s more complicated for children who are 16 or 17 and not living with their parents or guardians.

CLEO’s roommate tool may help you figure out who to list. And the Landlord and Tenant Board has a guide that explains who might be a tenant.

If you’re still not sure, get legal advice before you start.

How the tool works

After you answer a series of questions, we send you an email with the contents of the letter for your landlord.

To create the letter, you’ll copy and paste the text into another program, like MS Word. Then you can send the letter to your landlord in the mail or by email, or give it to them in person.

Send the letter by email only if your landlord has told you in writing that it’s okay to send them things that way.

You must sign the letter, either on paper or by using an e-signature.

Keep a copy for yourself.

CLEO does not store your personal information.

Hide this website