5. Make arrangements for your children or pets

Find services

Housing Law - Eviction process at the Landlord and Tenant Board
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

What happens if there's an eviction order and I don't move?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

5. Make arrangements for your children or pets

If the Sheriff comes to change the locks and you're not home, the Sheriff will call the Humane Society to pick up any pets that they find in the unit.

And if there are any children under the age of 18 at home at the time, the Sheriff will probably call the Children's Aid Society to come and get the children.

If you think the Sheriff will be coming soon and you're still in the process of moving out, arrange for your children or pets to stay with a friend or family member until you're able to find a new place. This might help avoid future legal problems with the Children's Aid Society or problems getting your pets back.

You May Also Need

Housing Help Association of Ontario
Reviewed: December 31, 2015

Parlez Français