Do I have the right to a lawyer in my child protection case?

1. Apply for Legal Aid

Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) gives legal help to people with very low incomes.

To get LAO to pay for your lawyer, you must apply for a Legal Aid Certificate. A Legal Aid Certificate means that LAO agrees to pay a lawyer to work for you. Most certificates say what type of work and the number of hours LAO will pay for.

The number of hours LAO pays for depends on what the (CAS) is asking for.

You may have to pay for services and hours that are not covered by your certificate. The amount you have to pay depends on your income and .

Not all lawyers accept LAO certificates. If LAO gives you one, you have to find a lawyer who agrees to accept your certificate. LAO's online Interactive tool: Find a lawyer can help you find a lawyer who does.

If you've experienced  and need immediate legal help, you might be able to get 2 hours of free advice from a lawyer.

This service is offered through some women's shelters, community legal clinics, and Family Law Service Centres. Or you can call Legal Aid Ontario toll-free at 1-800-668-8258 to find out more.

To apply

To apply for a :


Hide this website