4. Get help dealing with financial abuse

If you think that you've been a victim of financial abuse that's a crime, you can call your local police station. For example, you might do this if someone is stealing from you or you're a victim of a or .

Tell someone about the financial abuse

It can be hard to decide if you want to tell someone about the abuse. You might be embarrassed or afraid of what your abuser will do.

But talking about the abuse can help you find out what your options are and where you can find help, including financial resources in your community.

Talk to someone you trust, who can give you advice about how to protect yourself and what to do if there's been fraud in your accounts. This might be someone at your bank or a financial advisor.

You might also talk to:

  • a lawyer
  • a doctor or nurse
  • a family member or friend
  • a social worker or counsellor
  • a religious or other community leader

Community resources

There are organizations in Ontario that you can talk to about financial abuse and to report fraud. They can explain your options and help you find services and support in your community. Here are some examples:

The Seniors Safety Line takes calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 200 languages. They can refer you to programs and services in your community that can help with you deal with financial abuse. They also have trained staff who provide safety planning and supportive counselling. Call 1-866-299-1011.

The Victim Support Line can refer you to programs and services in your community, such as counselling. Call 1-888-579-2888.

You can call a helpline anonymously. This means that you don't have to give your name or contact information.

You can report fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Call 1-888-495-8501.

Hide this website