Who can get the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB)?Updated May 9
Question & AnswerWho can get the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB)?
1. Learn what it means to be in lockdown
You can get the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB) if:
- your region is in lockdown because of COVID-19, and
- the Government of Canada declares that your region is a lockdown region.
A lockdown means that the government does one or both of the following:
- Orders businesses and services that are not essential to close.
- Makes a stay-at-home order. This means that you must stay at home except to look after your basic needs like grocery shopping or going to important medical appointments. You can also leave home for safety reasons, for example, if there's a fire or you're experiencing domestic violence.
There must also be penalties, such as fines, for people who don't follow the rules.
Who can order a lockdown
The lockdown order must come from a part of the government that has the power to make decisions about public health. For example, this could be the government of Ontario, a local public health unit, a municipality, or a band council.
Being in a lockdown region
Even when there's a lockdown, you still can't get the CWLB unless the government of Canada says the region you work in is a lockdown region. This will happen only if:
- the government thinks it's in the “public interest”, and
- the lockdown will last for at least 7 days in a row.