1. Call a lawyer or duty counsel

What happens if I miss my court date for a criminal offence?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

1. Call a lawyer or duty counsel

If a bench warrant has been ordered, you can be arrested at any time. Depending on how much time has passed, you may be able to have the warrant cancelled before the police arrest you. This is called having the warrant rescinded.

Talk to a lawyer to determine if you can have the warrant cancelled or must turn yourself in to the police.

If you don’t know a lawyer or can’t afford one, contact Legal Aid Ontario. Legal Aid Ontario pays lawyers, known as duty counsel, to give free legal advice to people who can’t afford a lawyer. Duty counsel are lawyers who work in the courthouse. They usually can’t represent you at your trial, but they may be able to:

  • give you information and advice
  • help you find out if you qualify for Legal Aid

You May Also Need

Law Society of Ontario
Legal Aid Ontario
Reviewed: November 20, 2017

Parlez Français