What are the rules about medicinal cannabis?
Question & AnswerWhat are the rules about medicinal cannabis?
2. Decide how you will get your medicinal cannabis
There are 3 ways to get medicinal cannabis. You can:
- buy it through federally licensed producers
- grow it yourself, which is called personal production
- choose someone to grow it for you, which is called designated production
First, you have to register as a medicinal cannabis user and fill out a registration form. The type of registration form you fill out depends on whether you want to buy cannabis from a licensed producer or grow your own cannabis.
To register, send your registration form and your original medical document to:
- a federally licensed producer of your choice, if want to buy your medicinal cannabis from a licensed producer, or
- Health Canada, if you want to grow your own cannabis, or choose a person to grow it for you.
Licensed producers have their registration forms on their websites. Health Canada’s registration form is also online.
If you want to buy cannabis from a federally licensed producer and grow your own cannabis, you need 2 original medical documents from your healthcare practitioner. You have to attach one to each registration form.