5. Find a lawyer that accepts certificates

If you get a , you must find a lawyer who accepts them.

You can search a list of lawyers who accept legal aid certificates on the Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) website. You can search for lawyers by location, area of law, or language spoken. You can also search for lawyers who help people who have experienced domestic violence.

Here are some other ways to find a lawyer:

Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Ontario also has a Law Society Referral Service. This online service gives you the name of a lawyer in your area who can talk to you for up to 30 minutes for free. You can ask for a lawyer who speaks your language, or a lawyer who accepts legal aid certificates.

Law Society of Ontario Directory

The Law Society of Ontario has a Directory of all lawyers licensed to practise law in Ontario. You can search the directory by name, city, or postal code.

The Law Society also has a Directory of Certified Specialists that lists lawyers by area of law. But not all lawyers who specialize in an area of law are listed in this directory. It only lists lawyers who have applied to be included in the directory and who meet certain requirements.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that can help people find legal services when their income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford legal fees. Their website has a list of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who reduced fees based on your income and the size of your family. You must register and pay a small fee to use their services.

Hide this website