1. Report the theft

These steps are very important if any of your identity documents were stolen, for example, your passport, drivers' licence or health card.


Contact your local police department's non-emergency number to report the . Do not call 911 to report identity theft. When you contact the police, they will write down what you tell them in a police report. Ask for a copy of the police report. Give copies of it to your banks, credit agencies, credit card companies, and any other companies that you speak to about the identity theft

Government identity documents

Cancel any lost or stolen identity documents from the government. For example, your drivers' licence, passport, birth certificate, or health card. Apply for new ones as soon as possible.

For help with this process, find a ServiceOntario office near you, or call 416-326-1234 or toll-free at 1-800-267-8097.

Service Canada also has a step-by-step guide for what to do if you have lost your wallet.

Identity Theft Statement

The Ontario government has a form called an Identity Theft Statement that you can fill out. The form has a list of the banks and other companies that accept the Identity Theft Statement as proof that someone stole your identity. If you do not see your company or bank's name on the form, contact them to find out if they will accept it.

Use the form to notify banks, credit agencies, credit card companies, and other companies, about your identity theft.

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC)

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre gathers information about identity theft and gives advice and help to victims. If you need help by phone, you can call them at 1-888-495-8501.

Hide this website