The police seized a car I bought from a used car dealer. What can I do?

Contact the dealer

If your car is seized by the police, you should contact the dealer as soon as possible. The best way to do this is to send them a letter by registered mail with all the details of what happened. Ask them to give you back your money or suggest another solution.

Your letter should include the following information:

  • your name and address
  • the date
  • the name of the dealer's company and their address
  • the date you purchased the car
  • the make, model, year, and vehicle identification number of the car
  • how much you paid for the car
  • a detailed description of how and when you car was seized
  • the date by which you want a response from them (5-7 days is reasonable)

Be sure to include the following things with your letter:

  • evidence, like copies, not originals, of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other relevant documents
  • your signature and date

Keep a copy of your letter and your registered mail receipt so that you have proof that the dealer got your letter.

Keep your letter clear, short, and specific.

Registered dealers have to comply with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Counseil (OMVIC) . Most of them will try to work with you to fix the problem.

Hide this website