What can I do if I am not happy with a decision about my EI claim?

1. Ask for a reconsideration

The first step is to ask for a “reconsideration” of the decision. This request is free.

You have to use a form called Request for Reconsideration. You can get this form from any Service Canada office, or you can find it online by typing INS5210 in the search box on any government of Canada website.

You can ask for reconsideration if you have been:

  • refused benefits or you think the amount is too low,
  • told you must repay some benefits you received,
  • given a penalty, or
  • given a warning letter

You must ask for the reconsideration in writing. And you must make sure Service Canada receives your request within 30 days from when you first found out about the decision you want to challenge.

If you miss this deadline, you can ask for an extension, but you must give a good reason why you were late.

Hide this website