How old do I need to be to work?
Question & AnswerHow old do I need to be to work?
1. Find out about age requirements
In most workplaces, the minimum age to work is 14. But it depends on the job. For example, you have to be:
- 14 to work in an arena, a store, or as a waiter
- 15 to work in a restaurant kitchen, shipping and receiving area of a grocery store, or a warehouse
- 16 to work on a construction project or a logging operation
- 18 to sell or serve alcohol (but you have to be 19 to drink alcohol)
Some employers have their own rules about hiring people under 18 for certain jobs. For example, even though the law says you can work as a waiter when you're 14, a restaurant might decide to hire only people who are 16 or older.
To find out if there is a minimum age requirement for a job that you want, you can contact the Employment Standards Information Centre.