My employer wants me to have an injury “assessment”. What should I do?

1. Talk to your employer about the assessment

Your employer might ask you to be assessed by a medical professional to find out:

  • what type of duties you're able to do at work
  • any new information about your injury

Usually, this type of information comes from your own doctor. So, you don't have to agree to see someone who is not your own doctor or therapist.

If your employer asks you to see someone else, your employer should explain why they want someone else to assess you. After your employer explains why, you can still say no.

If you don’t want to go

If you're not sure what to do, ask your doctor if the assessment would be helpful or if you're medically ready for an assessment. For example, if your employer wants to send you to a person to test how much you can lift (this is called a “functional assessment”), your doctor may think it's too soon for you to even try lifting.

If you decide that you don't want to go to the assessment, you must tell your employer this. And it's a good idea to also tell your employer why you don't want to go.

Your employer can ask the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) to decide if you must go. Your employer has 2 weeks to ask the WSIB to decide if you must go to the assessment.

Hide this website