I have to care for my child. Does my employer have to accommodate me?
Question & AnswerI have to care for my child. Does my employer have to accommodate me?
1. Try to make other childcare arrangements
Before you ask your employer to you, it is important to look for childcare options that don’t interfere with your work. For example, you can:
- ask a trusted friend or family member to care for your child
- enroll your child in daycare if you can afford it
- pay a babysitter if you can afford it
- switch your child to a daycare that is closer to your workplace
Don’t try to guess the costs or what services are offered. You must actually phone or email people and ask questions to see if any option can solve your problem. Keep notes about the options you have looked at and why they don’t work for you.