Can an employer charge me money to get hired?
Question & AnswerCan an employer charge me money to get hired?
2. Ask for your money back
If you paid an illegal fee and didn't get a job, here are some things you might want to do.
Make notes about everything you remember about what happened, including:
- how you found out about the company
- who you spoke to and what they said
- when and where these conversations happened
- names of anyone who heard conversations you had with the employer
If you have an address for the company, write a letter asking for your money back. Include the following information:
- how much you paid
- how you paid, for example, in cash or with a cheque or money order
- who you paid
- when you paid
- why you should get your money back, for example, the fee was not legal