Can an employer charge me money to get hired?

4. Consider making a claim in Small Claims Court

You could try to get your money back by suing the company in Small Claims Court. Small Claims Court is for claims up to $35,000.

But companies that charge illegal fees are often hard to track down and are good at avoiding the law.

So you need to decide if it's worth the time and money it will take to go to court.

The online guide Things to consider before deciding whether to sue explains what you need to think about when deciding whether to make a claim. Some examples are:

  • What fees will you have to pay to make a claim?
  • Do you know the legal name of the company?
  • Do you have the company's address?
  • If you win, will you be able to get the money from the company?
Hide this website