4. Know your options if your employer breaks the rules

If your employer does not follow the rules about tips, you might be able to get the money they owe you. You can do this by making a claim with the Ministry of Labour.

You have up to 2 years to make a claim from the date the employer owed you the money.

The Canada Labour Code does not have any rules about tips. So your employer might be able to keep some tips for themselves.

If you have an employment contract, read it to see if it says anything about who gets the tips. Your workplace might also have a policy that explains the rules about tips.

Hide this website