I don’t agree with a Ministry of Labour inspector. What can I do?Updated April 19

4. Talk to a mediator

The Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) will confirm in writing that they got your application.

They will also assign a who will deal with your application. Mediators are sometimes called Labour Relations Officers (LROs).

The mediator will contact you and your employer and try to help you agree on a solution. If you can do this, you won't have to go to a hearing.

Hearings can be difficult and expensive.

Working with a mediator

The mediator is neutral. That means they don't represent you or your employer.

The mediator can give you more information about the law. They can also help you understand what the OLRB is likely to decide if you have a hearing. The mediator can't force you to do or agree with anything.

The mediator might meet with you and your employer in person or ask you questions over the phone. You should explain your situation and share any proof you have about what happened.

They might speak with you and your employer several times to see if you can agree on a solution.

The mediator doesn't make a final decision on your complaint if you can't agree on a solution with your employer.

You can talk to the mediator honestly. Anything you talk about in is confidential and usually can't be used by your employer at the hearing. The Vice-Chair is the person in charge of your hearing. The Vice-Chair isn't told what you and your employer talked about in mediation.

The OLRB gives the mediator a deadline to tell the OLRB if you and your employer decided on a solution. When you make an agreement with your employer, it's called “reaching a settlement”. If you don't reach a settlement, the OLRB sets up a consultation or a hearing.

You will get a notice in the mail with the date and time of your consultation or hearing. You can read more about this in What should I do if I have a hearing or consultation at the Ontario Labour Relations Board?

Hide this website