Apply for a record suspension

Can an employer ask me if I have a police record?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

Apply for a record suspension

You might be able to apply to the Parole Board of Canada for a record suspension.

But getting a record suspension isn't easy and can take a long time.

Depending on how serious the crime was, you have to wait either 5 or 10 years before applying.

For example, if you were convicted of taking a car without the owner agreeing to it, the waiting period is 5 years. This crime is sometimes called "joyriding".

If you were convicted of the crime of robbery, the waiting period is 10 years.

And the waiting period starts when you've completed your sentence. This means that you must have:

  • served any jail sentence
  • made any payments ordered by the court
  • completed any probation

The fee to apply is currently $631.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: November 1, 2018

Parlez Français