1. Call 911

Find services

Family Law - Partner abuse

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

What happens if I call the police about my abusive partner?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

1. Call 911

You can contact the police by calling 911 from anywhere in Ontario.

Try to make your call from a place where your partner can’t stop you. For example, lock yourself in the bathroom.

The 911 dispatcher will ask you for some basic information about yourself and your family. They will try to keep you talking while a police car is sent to your home. Tell the dispatcher if you or your children are hurt.

All calls to 911 are recorded. So, if the police charge someone with a crime and the case goes to criminal court, what you say to the 911 operator will likely be used as evidence in court.

You May Also Need

Ontario Women's Justice Network (This resource is written for women in abusive relationships but might help anyone in an abusive relationship.)
Reviewed: August 31, 2017

Parlez Français